Title: Domestic Programs Internship
Internship Description: UMR is looking for two spring interns to assist us with the planning and implementation of our domestic programs this season/semester. We have a signature, multi-city campaign we will be planning for April during the holy month of Ramadan and will need assistance with the concept note, budget preparation, in-kind donation solicitation, final report completion, and events marketing/recruitment. This will be for not only our HQ event we hold in DC but also for our community and chapter events around the country. Additionally, administrative assistance with webpage editing, social media management, external partner correspondence, and drafting of various forms of content will be requested during this internship.
The Programs Interns will be working directly with UMR’s Volunteer Management Coordinator and Operations Manager. The duration of the internship will be from January to May and conclude at the end of the academic semester. All interns are expected to dedicate at least 15-20 hours per week. This position will be hybrid with some days needed in the office. We will be recruiting for 1 in-person intern and 1 remote intern with a preference for 2 in-person interns.
Interns will ideally be able to report to our DC office a couple times each month. A license and vehicle are not required but are strongly preferred for this internship. Some local travel may be asked as well but will always be accompanied by a member of the UMR team.
Department/Individuals Assisting: Our DC office’s Programs Team
Responsible to: Our DC office’s Volunteer Management Coordinator, Connor Paul and our Operations Manager, Jennifer Mudawwar
- Assist UMR in planning and preparation for a significant, multi-city campaign to occur throughout the month of April during the holy month of Ramadan.
- Assist with drafting of the concept note and budget for the campaign.
- Researching and conducting outreach to local businesses and corporations to arrange for possible in-kind donations for the event.
- Submission of applications and grants to local corporations and national foundations to secure funding for in-kind supplies.
- Researching and assisting our chapters with outreach and vetting of partners in their local communities to work with for this event.
- Marketing and promotion of HQ opportunities and events on our volunteers social media account.
- Web page and volunteer database updating and management as needed.
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate program
- Previous programmatic planning or execution experience, preferably with a nonprofit, NGO, or international organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Outreach will be a significant portion of the internship to managers and program directors.
- Results oriented with the ability to meet self-imposed deadlines.
- Creativity with a desire to present and try out new ideas.
- Be a team player and work effectively with others, including UMR staff and external individuals .
- Be receptive to feedback and willing to make necessary changes or adjustments to your work.
- Fluency in a second language, preferably Arabic, Urdu, Dari, or Pashto
- Technical experience in any of the following: Salesforce, WordPress, Canva,
- Previous grant writing and or application experience
- Social media savvy and experience with Instagram, Facebook, and other platforms.
- Experience traveling, living, or working in another country
- Based in the Washington, DC region. Able to report to the office multiple times a month.
- A valid driving license and access to a vehicle
- At least 15-20 hours a week from January through May
- Start and end date are fluid
- This is an unpaid internship opportunity
- We are happy to provide academic credit and fulfill any reporting requirements from your institution.
- We will also provide a transportation stipend for gas and/or public transportation for work-related transit.
Application: To apply for this internship, please submit a one-page resume and one-page cover letter addressed to the Volunteer Management Coordinator highlighting your qualifications and why you would be a good fit for this opportunity. You can apply for this internship through Handshake or email these documents and any questions you might have to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not ask about the status of your application as we will contact you for an interview or when we have finished our review process.