U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News is looking for a creative, thoughtful and empathetic Photo Editor to research, produce and commission compelling photography and visuals for U.S. News content across verticals with an emphasis on News. The photo editor will work closely with the director of photography to find original visuals for daily stories, produce photo galleries, vet rights and permissions for photography usage, help maintain photography archives and direct photojournalists on assignment. The position is based in Washington, D.C., but remote work may be possible for the perfect candidate.
Are you up to the challenge?
A successful candidate will be highly motivated and possess the creative initiative to find or commission the best possible visuals for U.S. News content. The ability to handle multiple short-term and longer-term assignments, while meeting tight deadlines, is key. You should be interested in News and passionate about illustrating current events, with attentiveness toward diversity and inclusion.
You should definitely have:
- A strong eye for quality visuals, image selection and photography sequencing.
- Confidence with wire and archival photo research, especially with AP and Getty Images.
- Familiarity with assigning photojournalists.
- Experience with developing networks among visual journalists.
- A solid understanding of copyright and photography licensing terms.
- Fluency in working with photo editing software like Photoshop, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic, etc.
- Familiarity with content management systems, web production and social media.
- A commitment to accuracy and journalistic standards.
- Knowledge of AP style and experience writing and editing captions for photo essays.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Two or more years of professional experience working with photography, preferably in an online news environment.
- College degree or equivalent work experience.
It would be nice if you had:
- A background with video editing and production.
- Experience with data visualization tools and software.
- The skills to create original illustrations for editorial content.
- A strong understanding of SEO.
What it’s like to work with us:
Talent is our best asset!
We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
In addition to a résumé and cover letter, applicants must provide work samples – this will be the most important part of your submission. This could be an online portfolio showcasing your photo editing experience or a list of links or screenshots of projects you’ve worked on.