U.S. News & World Report is a multifaceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy officials make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include Education, Health, Money, Travel, Cars, News and 360 Reviews.
We reach more than 40 million people monthly during moments when they are most in need of expert advice and motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our signature franchises include our ‘Best’ series of consumer guides on colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides of the authoritative Best Colleges and Best Hospitals rankings on our website and in print. And our U.S. News Live flagship conferences highlight important national conversations including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and backgrounds at U.S. News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone is given an opportunity to succeed and contribute to their fullest. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you will use your strengths and skills to edit and write investing advice content for consumers that covers a wide range of topics, as well as edit B2B content aimed at financial advisors.
You’ll edit articles and slideshows that help people make smarter decisions when it comes to stocks, funds, portfolio management, retirement investing, brokerages and financial advisors. You’ll also work with freelance writers; help curate and review our weekday newsletter, Invested, and our Advisor Weekly B2B newsletter; and use analytics tools to monitor the performance of our content. In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to write investing advice articles and slideshows on trending topics.
In this role, you’ll work with our communications team to promote our content on social media and with other media outlets, as well as work closely with digital producers, SEO experts and product team members to deliver helpful and actionable advice content to our readers.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a nimble editor who is skilled at juggling several tasks at once and understands the consumer investing space.
As part of the job, you’ll:
- Edit articles, slideshows, broker profiles and other content for flow, consistency, tone, audience, brevity, accuracy and SEO.
- Recruit and manage freelance writers with expertise in the investing and advisory spaces, assign articles, and edit their content.
- Work with reporters and freelancers to vet story ideas and pitches, and assign stories accordingly.
- Write advice articles and slideshows as needed on trending investing topics.
- Employ SEO best practices to determine topics to cover and optimize content for search.
- Use Google Analytics to monitor performance of content and inform decisions.
- Help curate our daily and weekly newsletters for investors and advisors, monitoring performance of these newsletters and optimizing them following email newsletter best practices.
POSITION REQUIREMENTSYou should definitely have:
- 3+ years of professional editing and/or writing experience at a media company or financial publication.
- Knowledge and/or interest in the investing and advisory spaces.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines.
- Expertise and prior experience using AP style.
- Experience employing SEO best practices and using SEO tools to inform content strategy decisions.
- Experience with traffic analytics tools like Google Analytics.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Journalism or related degree or equivalent experience.
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience recruiting and managing freelance writers.
- Experience building and optimizing newsletters.
- Prior experience editing and publishing content in a CMS.
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- This position will require the successful candidate to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, the Company will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.