TO APPLY FOR THIS INTERNSHIP:
1. Submit BOTH a State of Texas Application and a Supplemental Intern Application (which can be found at: http://www.texasagriculture.gov/About/Employment/InternshipProgram.aspx);
2. If you’d like to be considered for more than one internship, please send a separate email for each position.
3. Email should include your Last Name, First Name and the Position # in the subject line.
4. Email your completed State of Texas Application and Supplemental Internal Application to: TDAJobs@TexasAgriculture.gov.
JOB OBJECTIVE: Assist the Communications division with educating and informing media outlets, stakeholders and the public. Work under close supervision with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
1. Complete multiple communication projects.
2. Compose and revise materials such as media advisories, news releases, speeches, backgrounders, fact sheets, biographies and newsletters.
3. Research and develop materials and strategies for department social media communications.
4. Develop, propose and plan story ideas about state and agricultural issues and post to social media networking sites.
5. Assist in responding to media inquiries.
6. Correspond with and provide information to Family Land Heritage Honorees to maintain necessary records.
7. Assist in all aspects of event preparation for annual Family Land Heritage Ceremony.
8. Develop processes to organize all TDA digital content, including those assets available for public use via the website or other online channels and those assets for internal agency use.
9. Capture, download and organize TDA and Commissioner TV/Radio appearances for public use and or archival purposes.
10. Adhere to established work schedule with regular attendance.
11. Follow all TDA safety guidelines/procedures and ethics requirements.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS (The application must state how each of the following qualifications are met):
- • Graduation from a senior high school or equivalent;
- • Enrollment in a college, university, or graduate program or recent graduate with a minimum grade point average of 3.0*;
- • Required to travel up to 5% of the work period; and
- • Valid Texas driver’s license and an acceptable driving record**.
- • Coursework in journalism, public relations, advertising, communications or related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- • Effective verbal and written communication, human relations and organizational skills;
- • Skill in providing customer service excellence to both internal and external customers;
- • Skill in operating a personal computer with word processing, database and spreadsheet software;
- • Skill in research techniques;
- • Ability to work in a setting requiring self-motivation/cooperative decision-making and to work effectively with diverse groups of people;
- • Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet strict deadlines while maintaining extreme attention to detail;
- • Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to adapt successfully and quickly to change and deliver quality results in a timely manner;
- • Ability to plan, organize and work independently, as well as within a team environment;
- • Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion; and
- • Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL CONDITIONS: Normal office work environment and may have exposure to dust and environmental allergens consistent with normal business activities and human contact. Mostly sedentary in nature but may involve walking; standing; pulling and pushing; kneeling, stooping and bending; performing tasks requiring fine motor skills and coordination; and safely lifting and carrying items weighing up to 30 pounds. Must be able work extended periods at a computer.