The US Army Garrison – Fort Bliss is located in El Paso, Texas, specializing in strategic deployment platforms that execute deployment operations, enabling rapid and efficient unit deployment and re-deployment. Fort Bliss also provides facilities and services through a professional workforce that assists units in sustaining their readiness and promotes a safe and secure installation, empowering Soldiers, Families, and Civilians to thrive. The US Army Garrison Fort Bliss Texas Public Affairs Office supports Fort Bliss by communicating on behalf of the installation and its leadership – providing clear, accurate, timely information to internal & external audiences. The office facilitates command information, media relations, community relations, and integrated communication strategy for the installation through various communication platforms and products (i.e., internal print/video news and information products, media engagement, and public outreach).
Under the mentorship of the Public Affairs Officer, The US Army Garrison Fort Bliss will be offering an ORISE learning opportunity with the Public Affairs Office. This opportunity will focus on researching current best practices within the digital communications environment and applying them to various public affairs-owned messaging platforms. The ORISE participant will routinely support and perform tasks monitor social media to identify emerging issues affecting Soldiers, civilians, and family members at Fort Bliss, and provide an analysis to key leaders to include in their decision-making process. The participant will gain hands-on experience applying various media monitoring techniques combined with public affairs and communication expertise to help solve complex messaging challenges. Throughout this opportunity, the participant will collect and evaluation of data to provide feedback to senior leaders regarding community interest and awareness of base operations and services, provide recommendations for a digital media communications plan, social media campaigns to support communication objectives, and partake in monthly working groups, strategic communications synchronization meetings with Fort Bliss Garrison leaders and installation-wide Public Affairs assets.
- Learn to apply a variety of communication methods and techniques to market and promote activities through the use of all available digital/social media platforms
- Learn to apply knowledge and information management best practices to enhance information flow.
- Learn online media, publishing and advertising metrics, systems and platforms; search engine optimization (SEO) related tools and metrics.
This appointment is a 12-month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by USAG. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
While participants will not enter into an employment relationship with DOD or any other agency, this opportunity will require a suitability investigation/background investigation. Any offer made is considered tentative pending favorable outcome of the investigation.
- Familiarity with government provided and/or commercially-available digital media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Concrete 5).
- Experience in converting news, social media, associated metrics and metadata into structured data/reports for leadership.
- Ability to collaboratively and effectively engage with higher headquarters and other agencies in the community.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, establish priorities and work in an organized manner
- Experience with community coalitions and strategic multi-disciplinary committees.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Bachelor’s Degree received within the last 60 months or currently pursuing.
- Overall GPA: 2.00