The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department (PARD) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
Purpose of Position: The Nature Based Activity Specialist is a temporary/seasonal staff position scheduled to work between 20 and 40 hours per week in an After School or Summer Camp program setting. Successful applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, exhibit creative thinking, exercise good judgment, and have excellent communication skills.
Multiple Work Sites:
- Austin Nature & Science Center:
- 2389 Stratford Dr, Austin, TX 78746
- Camacho Activity Center:
- 35 Robert T, Robert T Martinez Jr St, Austin, TX 78702
- Zilker Botanical Gardens:
- 2220 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78746
- Please note your location preference in the supplemental section of your application. Location requests will be honored on an availability basis and the hiring manager will make the final decision on work site location.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- College coursework in Natural Sciences or Education.
- Experience leading children in an outdoor setting.
- Experience in leading and/or instructing one or more of the following types of recreational programming: Environmental Education, Hiking, Mountain biking, Kayaking, Rock-climbing, Caving, Camping, and Film-Making.
- Experience using Final Cut for video-editing and in film-making; including writing, directing, filming and editing.
- Experience with environmental education, basic animal handling, hiking, film making, or gardening.
- Ability to fluently communicate (reading, writing, speaking) in English and Spanish.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
DUTIES, FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Safely facilitate and actively supervise participants at all times while engaging in a variety of indoor and outdoor activities.
- Develop, modify and teach program activities to accommodate various ages, abilities and interests.
- Regular attendance is mandatory for this position.
- Attend all sessions of scheduled staff training.
- Serve as a role-model, exercising appropriate decision-making and boundary setting.
- Utilize effective behavior management skills including enforcing policies fairly, consistently, kindly and firmly.
- Communicate clearly and professionally with participants, parents, co-workers and supervisor.
- Work cooperatively with co-counselors and other staff.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Complete reports and forms and assist with maintaining records in accordance with City of Austin (COA) and Parks & Recreation Department (PARD) policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Responsibilities – Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised: None.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of youth programs and activities.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Ability to work with children and teens, including youth with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the City and the public.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.