Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
** This ten-week paid internship is located in Chicago, IL. **
What Does Product Delivery Offer You?
– The opportunity to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders within HCSC, including, but not limited to, IT Business Analysts, Technical Architects, Product Managers, and leadership within the complementary product team.
– The ability for hands on work with the Product Development Lifecycle, which is integral for any product and/or project management role in the future.
– A fast-paced consulting environment where you will build health payer industry knowledge as a part of your contribution to projects that impact some of our largest employer clients.
– Continuous feedback to assist you in enabling your professional growth and development.
What Are Your Responsibilities?
– Under the supervision from a Product Delivery/Senior Product Delivery Consultant gain exposure to a phase of the product development lifecycle and assist in leading conversations surrounding product scope with business/operational/technical stakeholders.
– Contribute to departmental process improvement activities or process improvement initiatives within a project (Example #1: During a bi-weekly sprint retrospective, providing input on how the delivery team can better facilitate discussions with leadership from other areas in the enterprise. Example #2: Sharing best practices of creating a PowerPoint presentation during a Lunch and Learn Session).
– Create a final internship PowerPoint presentation to share with department leadership covering the internship experience, the assigned project over the course of the summer, and a recommended process improvement methodology that can be leveraged by the department in the future.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
– Experience preparing PPT decks, comfort with presenting to senior leaders and interacting on cross-functional teams is a strong plus
– Exposure to or an interest in learning human-centered design and/or project management
– Prior internship, volunteerism or leadership experience is a plus
– Demonstrated interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication
– Interest in the healthcare payer industry
– Strong analytical skills with an ability to grasp new and unfamiliar concepts within the healthcare industry
– Practical, developed PC skills, especially Excel, Word, Outlook, virtual team collaboration tools and PowerPoint
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
– Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Healthcare Administration, IS/IT, or other related degree
– Graduation date between December 2021 – June 2022
– A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
– Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
– Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
– Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
– Challenging real-world hands-on project
– Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
– Professional development workshops
– Business Resource Group involvement
– Volunteer activities